Built from chalk, flint and brick, Barn 1610 is one of the longest barns in Norfolk and is unusual in that it has three threshing bays. The conversion project has won a Craftsmanship Award from the Norfolk Association of Architects and a Design in the Environment Award from the Mayor of the Borough of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk.
“It makes a statement of the style of the whole barn – immediately on walking in the front door.” Robert Lord – Architect
Barn 1610 is one of a development of five superior barn conversions, Manor Farm Barns, by John Symington of Townsfolk Limited, a company specialising in renovation and restoration in the North Norfolk area.
The company is committed to using materials of the highest quality and many of them are locally sourced. The creamy buff Blanc de Bierges staircase augments the setting perfectly. The contractor was J S Hay Ltd of Lingwood, Norwich.
Robert Lord, the architect for the project, suggested that the Blanc de Bierges spiral staircase would better suit the proportions of the hallway than a traditional staircase and would maximise the flow of light into the space.
He also felt that the textured finish would complement the chalk walls and become a feature both downstairs in the hall and upstairs where it rises into the sitting room.
The Blanc de Bierges spiral staircase is suitable for interior and exterior use. The non-slip finish coupled with a closed riser are important safety features and all structural components are fully reinforced. The different versions and landings can be made to specific requirements.